Oh what I wish I knew young, beautiful, and full of energy.... This is for me a graduation speech of sorts. I figured that since I was on my way out, I may as well throw out some random ideas and feelings that I have had.
I have tried to give you not only my thoughts, but some resources to view so you might make anything that stands out personal. I really hope that in some way this might be beneficial to some of you.
Let's Start Here:
I think it is best that we start with truth from the mouth of a child.
Believe in Change:
At times it is hard to believe that anything can change. We often feel swamped while at the MTC. The MTC is by every means very demanding. We have the challenge of trying to balance our social life, our school life, our work life, our career life, and on and on and on. I wish I would have first understood that I could change, and that change would come.
Daily Bread: Change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbgg7OT3TI&list=PL4E784EC0770935C0
Once I had recognized the opportunity to change, I wish I would have seen my resources in a proper light. It is difficult to not feel judged or compared when somebody comes into your class and watches you teach, or helps you teach. It is critical that one sees their resources in their proper light. Resources are there to provide insight and another view. Resources should be one of your greatest HELPS to accomplishing your goals - they make it so you can fly to New York instead of having to walk to New York.
Your Potential, Your Privileges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV2YlnbXgAs
Being Me:
I remember a time while working where I felt like I was a different person in the classroom and out of the classroom. Now, I am not talking about lifestyle, but rather about personality. When I got in the classroom I felt like I had to be this certain "A or B" type teacher that everyone else probably was. This caused me to go into "teacher" mode when I came in the classroom. After I gained confidence in myself and my abilities to teach the fundamentals in the classroom, I noticed a lot of my personality come back into the scene. When my personality came back, my ability to connect with the missionaries was expanded immensely. Remember that you are here to accomplish the purposes of the MTC as you create experiences for them.
Studying and Not Always Planning:
There is a great value to be found in immersing ourselves in the doctrine consistently. Far too often I found myself stuck in the planning stages during my time at the MTC. I would struggle to find a vision for my district and myself, and then make specific plans on how to make that play out throughout the week. As I grew in understanding, I saw great value in making specific plans with my companion teacher, and then spending my prep time actually studying the doctrine in the scriptures and preach my gospel.
The same principle applied to my growth as a teacher. If all I ever did was plan, I found myself constantly evaluating how I was progressing, where I wanted to be, and trying to set a million goals to get there. This type of approach gave me the feeling of my wheels constantly spinning with little if any traction for forward progress - which was incredibly frustrating and depressing to me. The all plan approach also tends to give one the feeling that they are trying to build Rome in one day. A great evidence of the all plan approach can be seen in the teacher who can't distinguish between their vision and game plan, and their studies. Planning, studying, and practicing are similar in purpose, but they are also distinctly different.
True studying provides traction to goals. True studying expands one's mind and provides grounds for true faith. Studying provides revelation on how to better meet one's goals and desires. Finally, studying makes growth manageable and incremental rather than overwhelming.
Daily Bread: Pattern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMJ6ZDCAp4&list=PL4E784EC0770935C0
Perfection:
Likely the most lesson I learned was that I wasn't perfect, and not being perfect is OKAY! There are so many incredible and wonderful people who we get to know upon first being hired at the MTC that it is almost impossible to not compare ourselves to them. If the surrounding teachers aren't enough, then add in the observations and feedback one receives, and it is obvious why it is so easy to fall into the trap of being overwhelmed with trying to improve.
Daily Bread: Experience http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJKmXtoMI5s&list=PL4E784EC0770935C0
Be Proactive:
Above everything else, this has changed me the most dramatically both in and out of the MTC. You have the ability to manage your life. Let the most important things into your life, and take opportunity to make the most important things happen. Nothing feels better than making a decision on who you want to be, what you want out of life, and going for it. You have choice; don't forget it!
Thank you all for everything you have done for me! You are incredible examples and great friends. Thank you for how you have taught me in word, in deed, and in friendship.
Thank you Krys!! This brings so much insight, hope, and perspective to me as a new teacher. Truly inspired!
ReplyDeleteI know this is an older post, but it speaks like one from the dust, and rings true today. Thank you so much for taking the time to study, research, and write this.
ReplyDelete